Bieber loses it to Occupy Wall Street | Social Excerpts

Bieber loses it to Occupy Wall Street | Social Excerpts

Posted by SoEx on Nov 7, 2011 in Social media | 0 comments

Justin Bieber is no more the most popular story on Twitter. The Occupy Wall Street has overshadowed Bieber as the most talked-about story on the popular micro-blogging site, according to a Pew study.

The teen pop star has more than 14 million followers on Twitter and has been the top story, until October 24, when Occupy Wall Street happened. From October 24 to October 28 Justin was the second most popular story, followed by Steve Job’s death and 2012 presidential elections. Justin Bieber made it thrice in last five weeks into the list of New Media Index charts before Occupy Wall Street made it last week.

Not only on Twitter, Occupy Wall Street makes the most popular stories on blogs as well. The research also shows a significant difference between the protests on Twitter and blogs. People mostly shared photos and videos of the protests on Twitter while on the other hand people’s sentiments were reflected.

A note to those, who are not aware of Occupy Wall Street (OWS): Occupy Wall Street is a rebellion against economic and social inequity. Initiated by Adbusters, Canada’s activist group, OWS was initially an idea which took the form of actual protest in the Wall Street financial district in New York City. The first movement was witnessed on September 17, 2011 in New York City. But by 9 October, the protesters started their demonstrations in 70 different cities in the U.S.

The activists’ slogan is “We are the 99%”. The 1% refers to the wealthiest of people while the rest 99% signifies the general people, who suffer from the difference in income development in the U.S.

An ongoing movement without social media coverage! You would explain it as fictitious as the stories of mermaids. Like any other social issues, the OWS protesters chose Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube to make it a worldwide movement. The online conversation about OWS started growing speedily in recent times. Trendrr says, conversations on OWS on Twitter grew over 25% outside the U.S. by October 15. On Facebook as well, more than 1.2 million pages were created to bring the protests online.

Apparently, Occupy Wall Street was no more than a Mission-Impossible. But people’s connection to the cause and promptness made it a real global movement. Moreover, OWS gave birth to similar movements worldwide such as Occupy the London Stock Exchange, Occupy Brazil, Occupy Sidney, Occupy Tokyo etc.

Coming back to Bieber, no matter how shocking the news is for his fans, the study proves a basic human psychology. No doubt, we love glamour, stardom, dazzling lifestyle of celebs, but when it comes to make a movement socially, we never step back. More discussions on Occupy Wall Street than Justin Bieber only vouch for that.

Disclaimer: The legal copyright of the images belongs to the respective copyright owners.

Did you like this? Share it:

Leave a Comment Cancel reply

About Author